Friday, February 23, 2007

Depiction follow-up

Let me try to respond to thoughtful comments that have appeared regarding this exchange.

Farid writes that "it is not the responsibility of any creator to contribute to the collective wisdom," but then continues to point out that he thinks that in fact these depictions are doing precisely that.

It is easier to rebut the second claim, so I will start there. Is there something inherently wise about the notion that no one is above caricuratization? I would challenge that assumption on its face. Let's be careful here. Nick seems to suggest in his comment that I am arguing for a ban on depictions of sacred persons. That is not the case; I am merely arguing that it is imprudent for respectable outlets to carry such depictions. I would suggest that there is in fact nothing inherently good or wise about the notion that no one is beyond caricature. Do we think that caricatures of children with Down syndrome are worthy because they will push the buttons of those whose loved ones suffer from it? Would we welcome caricatures of victims of genocide because it would push the butttons of those whom that offends? Again, I don't think that contributes anything to the conversation. Of course, the response is that this is different; sacred persons are not being victimized in the same sense. In fact, the notion of their sanctity is all in people's heads, it is just supernatural baloney. Operating on that assumption for a moment, one realizes that yet another assumption is buried underneath: By making a caricature out of someone whom someone else holds to be sacred but who the creator thinks is decidedly not sacred, the idea is to mock the belief in that person's sanctity as being irrational and stupid. That, I would submit, is not a valuable contribution either. But why shouldn't people who deny the sanctity of certain persons mock them in order to make the point that it is silly to hold them in such high regard? I would suggest that there is a basic tenet of respect for other's people holy things; it is a basic tenet of common courtesy, and eptiomizes the idea of tolerance. Now, tolerance doesn't mean blindness to oppression. But I humbly submit that depicting the holy figures of a faith has nothing to do with combating oppression; if that is the goal, there are many more straightforward ways to accomplish that. At the end of the day, the singular question is what end is served by the notion that no one is above caricature. So far, I see none.

Let me also deal with the inevitable "but people make satire out of Jesus all the time" response. I think that the most important thing to realize there is that such satire (whatever its merits) is part of an internal conversation within the Christian world about the legacy of Jesus, its meaning etc. By implication, one might respond, then what about newspapers in Muslim countries engaging in similar depictions? I think the merits of such depiction, if it should ever occur, deserve analysis on their own terms. I am running out of time, but at a later time I would be happy to explain further my distinction between "internal" and "external" conversations.

As to the first claim that Farid makes, stay tuned.

3 comments:

farid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
farid said...

Thanks, Mahmood, for allowing me to use my brain today (not compulsory in my line of work.) I continue to support that these depictions do contribute to collective wisdom. Let me begin by dividing caricatures in to two categories: political and entertainment. The former is obviously satirical and inarguably (I hope) beneficial to societal erudition.

Entertainment caricatures -- that is cartoons mostly meant to ridicule or insult -- have some gray area in its contribution to the conversation. Whether or not the Danish cartoon can be classified as political, clearly South Park's beaver-morphing, Abe Lincoln-killing Muhammad does not, so I willingly admit both cartoons into the gray sphere of entertainment caricatures. From here, I repeat the defense that these depictions still make important contributions. These cartoons remove the prophet, and the other Super Best Friends, from their pedestal by serving them in new absurd (read: supernatural) situations. Does this mock people who believe in the sanctity of the image of Muhammad and friends? Yes. But it does not go so far as to mock followers of Islam, or Christianity, or Buddhism, etc.

I will elaborate using its parallel in Christianity. The 2nd Commandment says that you must not make an idol of anything in the heavens above. Yet many people, particularly in Latin American homes, have portraits of Jesus in the most prominent place above the mantle, handling them and revering them as sacrosanct. These "idols" only detract from the purposes of Christianity and depictions of Jesus on South Park help shock people out of this undue reverence. And not respecting parts of one's beliefs does not constitute intolerance.

As for caricatures of people with Down syndrome and so forth, I did include one caveat in my original comment: "aside from things that can't be helped, like race." A person cannot control what diseases he or she is born with, and therefore such caricatures are not protected under my argument. Though, I just remembered another defense popularized by my secret lover, Trey Parker. In South Park, AIDS was declared funny after 22.3 years after its entrance. How long has it been since the Bosnian genocide? ... I'll leave that rule alone for now.

Finally one short note on the internal/external conversations bit: I don't believe they have any place in today's society. For now I must retire, but I will explain soon, I promise!

Unknown said...

hey

man, won't engage in anything very constructive but glad to read such interesting comments on my post. I'm in a hurry and working so let me just say that this debate is no longer on religious issues but on the nature of satire and comedy itself. My good friend Andy would know that for now 50 years comedians have started to make fun about just anything (MAD, National Lampoon, saturday night live, in France les Nuls or Les inconnus). The only difference now is between subtle interesting contribution to debate or just stupid mediatic provocation. Like Farid says, both make contributions. And defending freedom of speech and to caricature means allowing such grey areas. People have to judge by themselves what is relevant and not and condemn or correct.
For the "jesus" story, ugh...I totally agree with u and will comment but in a hurry...